1) It is a seasonal community for posting recs to fan-created works. 2) Top 5 is meant to thank creators for the work they've shared, introduce newcomers (and longtimers!) to work they may have missed, celebrate another year of enjoying the fandom, and serve as a rec archive that can be searched throughout the year. 3) Top 5 is open for 2 sessions each year. The first begins on Jan. 1 and celebrates work done in the previous year in the Buffyverse fandoms. The second is over Halloween, when recs for all years prior to the current one are welcome.
What can I post about?
Categories are open to each poster’s imagination and preferences. Want to rec your favourite Buffy/Angel drabbles for the year? Funniest Dr. Horrible icons? Awesomest Firefly vids? Most useful websites and communities? We'd love to see them! But there are three restrictions:
(1) The items on your lists should be fan created during the time period specified.
Part of Top 5's purpose is to celebrate and share new material that is being created by those active in the fandom, so the January session is restricted to the previous year. The Classic Recs session over Halloween however, is open for all time periods.
(2)Your items should be for the fandoms in that session only.
Crossovers are perfectly ok at any time but Top 5 January is for Buffyverse recs only.
(3) The lists posted should be made in a positive spirit.
(i.e. no Top Badfic lists) Our New Year’s resolution is to keep things here as kerfuffle-free as possible.
(4) This is a community for rec lists of fan-created material only. Any off-topic posts will be deleted.
(1) This community has open membership, but you must be a member of the community to post your lists.
If you don’t already have a Livejournal account, you will need to sign up for one. Then select the button at the top of this page that says "Join." There are no sign-ups so you can post your lists any time you want.
(2) Commenting is great too!
Maybe you’ve read the same stories, maybe there’s another story by that author you’d like to point out to people, maybe you just want to tell the poster you checked out one of their recs and loved it. Join in! One caveat: NO FLAMING, NO EXCEPTIONS! If you disagree with someone’s list, post your own and be polite in your comments. No harshing the holiday mellow!
(3) This is not an English-language-only community.
Links and recs to non-English material are very welcome.
(4) Be generous with your praise to the creators!
If you follow a rec you like, give that author/vidder/artist feedback. It’s nicer than a glass of bubbly!